Yoga teacher Mary Somerville had been living in an Edinburgh hospice (Picture: Solarpix)
A woman has died almost two months after a suspected gas leak from a Spanish villa fridge killed her husband as they celebrated their honeymoon.
Mary Somerville, 39, was found lying unconscious next to the body of Jaime Carsi, 40, at a holiday home in Majorca on May 6.
The couple had reportedly married just two weeks before the tragedy, and the alarm is said to have been raised after they failed to turn up to a boat trip.
It is believed they had slept through a carbon monoxide leak at the family-owned property in Cala Mesquida in the north-east of the Balearic island.
Ms Somerville, from Abriachan in the Scottish Highlands, was taken to hospital in a serious condition.
She died at the St Columba’s Hospice in Edinburgh on July 2.
Iain Stewart, executive director of the Edinburgh Interfaith Association, paid tribute to Ms Somerville’s work with the organisation.
In a post on social media, he wrote: ‘I will remember Mary for her warm and infectious personality and smile that would light up any room.
‘Please join me in sending prayers to Mary’s family and loved ones.
‘At this time as people of faith we are comforted by the belief that Mary will once again be united with her beloved Jaime.’
At the time of the incident, a spokesperson for the Guardia Civil police force told the Guardian: ‘Everything suggests that this was due to the malfunctioning of a gas fridge, which led to a carbon monoxide leak.
‘The man was found dead and the woman unconscious. Both were found on the bed. It appears to have been a domestic accident.’
A Foreign Office spokesman said: ‘We supported the family of a British woman who was hospitalised in Mallorca.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.