Huw Edwards will remain in hospital for the ‘foreseeable future’ his wife Vicky Flind has said (Picture: Noble/Draper / REX)
Huw Edwards has been named as the BBC presenter facing allegations over payments for sexually explicit images.
The 61-year-old has been one of the prominent faces of the news channel, reporting on royal family events and pivotal political moments.
His wife, Vicky Flind, has now issued a statement on his behalf.
She said the broadcaster is ‘suffering from serious mental health issues’ and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he will stay ‘for the foreseeable future’.
Follow our live blog coverage here
Presenter Dan Walker said it was ‘an awful situation and will come as a big shock to many’ while BBC Two’s John Simpson said he feels ‘so sorry for everyone involved’
Journalist Jon Sopel described the allegations against Mr Edwards as ‘an awful and shocking episode.’
He tweeted: ‘There was no criminality, but perhaps a complicated private life. That doesn’t feel very private now.’
‘I hope that will give some cause to reflect. They really need to. I wish @thehuwedwards well.’
No criminal offence has been committed by Mr Edwards, the Met confirmed this evening (Picture: Tolga Ackmen/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)
Huw Edwards and his wife Vicky Flind pictured in 2018 (Picture: Noble/Draper)
In a statement issued on behalf of her husband, Ms Flind said: ‘In light of the recent reporting regarding the “BBC Presenter” I am making this statement on behalf of my husband Huw Edwards, after what have been five extremely difficult days for our family.
‘I am doing this primarily out of concern for his mental well-being and to protect our children.
‘Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues. As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years.
‘The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he’ll stay for the foreseeable future.
‘Once well enough to do so, he intends to respond to the stories that have been published. To be clear Huw was first told that there were allegations being made against him last Thursday.
‘In the circumstances and given Huw’s condition I would like to ask that the privacy of my family and everyone else caught up in these upsetting events is respected.
‘I know that Huw is deeply sorry that so many colleagues have been impacted by the recent media speculation. We hope this statement will bring that to an end.’
Four people had made claims against Mr Edwards, with the first coming from parents who claimed their child was sent £35,000 over a three-year period for explicit images.
A second young person claimed they were sent expletive-filled abusive messages, while a third said the presenter broke lockdown rules to meet them.
The allegations – reported in the Sun newspaper – led to a wave of BBC presenters releasing statements to confirm they were not involved in the scandal.
The Metropolitan Police have confirmed no criminal offence has been committed by Mr Edwards.
In light of the news, a spokesperson for the BBC said: ‘We have seen the statement from the police confirming they have completed their assessment and are not taking further action.
‘We’re grateful to them for completing this work at speed.
Huw Edwards speaks at the UK Holocaust Memorial Day Commemorative Ceremony in 2020 (Picture: Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
‘The police had previously asked us to pause our fact finding investigations and we will now move forward with that work, ensuring due process and a thorough assessment of the facts, whilst continuing to be mindful of our duty of care to all involved.’
Mr Edwards joined the BBC as a news trainee, before progressing to the Parliamentary Correspondent for BBC Wales.
During the 12 years in this role, he reported on Margaret Thatcher’s resignment and the rise of Tony Blair.
In 1999, the broadcaster took over as the host of the BBC Six O’Clock News and it became the most-watched programme in Britain.
He has previously spoken about his experience with depression and the toll it took on his working life.
Mr Edwards was promoted in 2003 to be the anchor on the BBC Ten O’Clock News.
He was front and centre to the BBC’s coverage of the Queen’s death last year.
Samaritans are here for you
Whatever you’re going through, you can call the Samaritans free any time, from any phone, on 116 123.
You can also access help here
South Wales Police also released a statement this evening, echoing the points made by the Met.
A spokesperson said said: ‘South Wales Police has remained in contact with representatives of the Metropolitan Police and the BBC following a meeting on Monday.
‘Information was initially received by the force in April 2023 regarding the welfare of an adult. No criminality was identified.
‘Following recent events, further enquiries have been carried out and officers have spoken to a number of parties to establish whether any criminal allegations are being made.
‘At this time, there is no evidence that any criminal offences have been committed. There are no ongoing enquiries being carried out by South Wales Police.
‘However, should evidence of criminality or safeguarding issues be identified at any point in future then they will be investigated.’
Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at email@example.com. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.