In many businesses, there are discounts for seniors who are over a certain age and people who are in the military.
What some federal employees may not know is that they have access to exclusive travel deals and discounts because of their job. Many travel companies like to give their thanks to federal employees by offering a travel discount code exclusive to them. To take advantage of this, the travel company in question may need to see proof of employment with an ID or through a third-party verification site.
If you want to see where you can get travel discounts for federal employees, keep on reading.
Travel Deals at Hotels
Whether you are booking a hotel in a certain area or looking for a room at one of the bigger hotel chains around the country, you should keep an eye on these great rates that they offer to government employees. Check out some of the ones below:
- Hilton: federal and state government workers must provide valid government ID at check-in; only available at participating locations
- Marriot: Done at participating hotels; to take advantage, select “government” at the special rates section when booking online and bring a valid ID when checking in
- Wyndham: Book your room online or call (800) 407-9832 for reservations and present your government ID during check-in
- Caesars Hotel & Casino:35% can be taken off the lowest available rate at Caesars Atlantic City, Caesars Southern Indiana, and Caesars Palace in Las Vegas locations; sign in and verify through ID.me or book using the code EESSW to take advantage
- And many more
One resource that current employees should look at is the Federal Discount Lodging Directory if they want to book a room for cheaper prices than what a hotel initially offers.
Discount Travel While Flying
Major airlines such as United, Delta, JetBlue, and Southwest all offer discounted fares that federal employees can use while booking a flight. For more info, read the specifics for each airline below:
- United: traveling on official business only; payment must be accepted on government-issued Visa and MasterCards (Note: not available for contractors)
- Delta: only while traveling for work; to get the discount, call the airline and ask about it
- Southwest: any employees traveling for work must call 1 (800) 435-9792
- JetBlue: for more information, call 1 (888) 538- 2583 and press 3 when prompted
If you need a train ride, Amtrak offers discounted prices when federal employees are traveling for business purposes. To get this discount, the ticket has to be booked through an official federal employee travel agency or corporate booking tool.
Take a Relaxing Cruise
Sail away with ease thanks to travel deals on cruises for federal employees. CruiseDealsforFeds.com works with many major cruise lines. They offer cruise deals, discounted rates, and extras on hundreds of cruises each year.
If you are interested in booking a cruise to the Bahamas, the Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line offers a 10% discount on cruises. To get this travel discount code, government employees should register with ID.me to provide verification.
Buy a Vacation Package
You don’t have to go about trying to book your vacation by yourself. All across the internet are specialized travel agencies that can help you book the right travel package for you when you want to spend your vacation out of the country. These agencies can help book cruises, tour packages, hotels, flights, and much more.
Some websites that are good for booking these discounted packages include GovArm, SatoVacations, and Government Vacation Rewards.
Discount Travel When Renting Cars
When you don’t need a flight or just need to travel by road, rental car companies are able to provide special rates for federal employees. Here are some of the rental car companies that offer these employee discount travel rates.
- Alamo: Government employees are eligible for Frequent Traveler benefits from select partners, where driver fees are waived for official travel while discounted rates are available for leisure
- Dollar: Discounted rates, free upgrades, unlimited mileage, and more benefits are available for leisure or official business
- Enterprise: Federal employees traveling on official business are eligible for discounted rates, free upgrades, and waived fees; must be booked using the account number FGORDRS and be able to provide valid proof of employment
- Hertz: Government employees are eligible for a special rate when traveling on official business; in addition, free membership to Hertz Gold Plus Rewards is offered with rental discounts and upgrades when traveling for leisure
- National: Discounts and benefits offered when using the code GOVBIZ for business and GOVRNR for leisure
Save the worry of trying to book a car for the purpose you need and take advantage of the open road for your pleasure or business needs.
Traveling While on the Job
Travel discounts for federal employees can be applied to you whether you are currently on the job or not. But, if you need to travel for a work assignment and not for leisure, how can you save money?
The US government has a resources page that employees can use if they are traveling for work purposes. This includes policies and per diem rates for traveling within the Continental US, Alaska, and Hawai’i, or to foreign countries. You can also look into cost-saving programs such as a SmartPay card that you can use for any expenses.
Take Advantage of Travel Discounts for Federal Employees
Working for the government can come with its challenges, but it can also let you get some amazing travel deals if you know where to look. Whether you are still a federal employee looking for the best place to go on vacation or are retired, getting travel discounts for federal employees is something you should definitely consider the next time you want to go somewhere new. Find the best discount travel sites and happy traveling!
If you want to read more fun suggestions contained in lifestyle and travel articles, check out the other articles on our website.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.