Man is prone to evolution and change. Replacing the old for better and more innovative options is what keeps the process of want-need-invent going on. With technology taking forward strides in each field, it was about time to bring in a revolutionary change in the traditional method of farming.
The science of hydroponics now promises a bright future for the field of agriculture. It has successfully challenged the traditional dynamics of the agriculture industry and has established new paths for research, study, and invention for the benefits of better yield and harvest.
With this article, you will realize the benefits of hydroponics and metamorphose your small-scale garden produce into full-fledged hydroponic farming.
What is hydroponics?
It is farming without the plants being embedded in the soil bed. Research and science studies found that plants don’t require soil for optimum growth and full fruition. They only need the nutrients and water from the ground to utilize during their growth years. Hydroponics has eliminated the earth and replaced it with nutrient-dense water solution that suffices the plant needs and enhances health.
Usually based indoors, hydroponics may require a grow tent to implement agriculture practice on a large scale to reap the benefits. The farmer only has to maintain the pH levels and check the nutrients in the water solution, and the plants will respond accordingly with fast growth and better yield. For increasing the number of plants, vertical farming is the way to go.
Plants may not need soil, but they still want a stable structure to latch on and grow on the base of. Generally, vermiculite, perlite, peat moss, coconut fiber, and Rockwool are easy substitutes that don’t interfere with the water solution and the plant growth system.
Benefits of hydroponic Grow tents:
- Saves resources: agriculture is close-knit with the environment and ecosystem. Yet, some of the agricultural practices are not environmentally friendly. But with hydroponics, we can save and conserve resources.
- Saves energy: when growing indoors, hydroponics requires adequate lighting for making food and growth. Therefore good lighting is essential for optimum results. As a result, hydroponics grows faster and generates twice the quality and quantity of yield as opposed to when you are on the outside. The investments save you energy and resources in the long run.
- Water conservation: In traditional soil-based agriculture, water is lost to evaporation, runoff, and soil storing the water. But with hydroponics, water evaporation is on the low due to the controlled environment in the Grow tent. There is no runoff water, and the water solution can be recycled by populating it with nutrients and reinstalling it any number of times. As a result, water conservation is on a high.
- Saves labor: you can do more with less workforce. When work like pesticide application, fertilizing, weeding, and watering is eliminated, laborers are left to observe and harvest the yield. Grow tents can be automatic up to 60% of the total agriculture labor.
- You can even eliminate the supply chain where the yield is transported from place to place as the growing field is not suitable for storing produce. But Grow tents can be set up and produce successful outcomes right where they can be stored, sold.
- Maximize space: on the field, the roots of the plants spread far and wide in search of water and nutrients. But with hydroponics, they have a ready supply of water and nutrients that are reinstated with managed pH. Therefore, the job of roots to supply nutrients to the plant is made easy, and space is saved. Plants can, thus, be planted as close as you want without compromising on their health and growth.
- Indoor farming allows you to grow anywhere according to your convenience and space availability. You only have to ensure air circulation while the Grow tents manage the environmental factor and advanced equipment that supplies fresh air, controls temperature, humidity, water supply, and light.
- Eliminates pests and weeds: in a hydroponic system, you truly reap what you sow. The weeds cannot take roots as the weed seeds are not included while sowing and do not have that space of soil to sprout. The weed problem is eliminated by the source.
- In the controlled environment, the chances of microbes and pests entering the tent to infest and multiply are less than none. In addition, the tightly sealed doors eliminate pests and pesticides, the harmful chemicals used to treat the same.
- Healthier plants: a completely guided hydroponic yield is typically twice the amount and quality of the traditional farm yield.
- Quality produce: the restriction of supplying the produce when the season sets in leads to an early harvest. It also commences Chemical growth and ripening of the stored crop by ethylene gas to ripen it up quickly. But a grow tent can achieve it in hydroponics by watching the production and supplying the extra nutrients, and setting the environmental conditions for early ripping without the chemicals.
- Higher yield: since vertical farming can plant more in less space, the profit generated by hydroponics in tents is more per square field. Also, the seasonality of fruits and vegetables is eliminated by a controlled atmosphere and, the advantage of all-year-round produce is a happy addition.
- Healthier plants: soil-borne diseases are eliminated due to the replacement of soil with a water solution. The plants grow and mature faster because root growth is not required, and the energy is focused on plant growth. Even chemical pesticides and fertilizers are no longer needed. Thus the produce is grown entirely chemical-free. As a result, it is healthier and free of disease.
Change for the better. You can safely invest in hydroponics and be assured of the best quality harvest with one initial investment that gives you long-term benefits in the agriculture field. It has the potential to influence the future of agriculture all over the world. With the increasing population, space-saving is one of the significant goals of endeavor. Hydroponics offers you a chance of yield despite environmental factors, weather changes, and soil composition. Try it for yourself for home produce before you believe its potential.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.