After the very moment when the little one arrives, it’s up to parents to choose the way of feeding. Most moms decide to breastfeed and that’s the best way to enrich a baby with all the necessary nutrients. There shouldn’t be any problems if your little one takes breast milk as it’s completely safe and suitable for them. But, unfortunately, some mothers are unable to lactate or cannot feed their baby because of different reasons. That’s when baby formula comes as a real saver.
Nowadays, baby formula manufacturers try to make their products as close to breast milk as possible. They enrich them with lots of vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, and other nutrients. That’s why so many babies are doing great while eating baby formulas all over the globe.
What about baby formulas in the U.S.?
There has always been a great choice of baby formulas on the market in the U.S. But over the past few years, the situation has drastically changed. Parents have gone crazy over the pandemic times and are sweeping all baby formulas off the grocery shelves on their way because of the fear of running out of basic baby food.
Moreover, there was an incident related to baby formulas. Several babies got a bacterial infections while consuming formula milk and there were even deaths. This turned into a real scandal and the need to check all existing productions of baby formulas in order to prevent such a situation from happening again in the future. Such a development of events caused a real crisis in the world of baby food and panic among many young parents. Millions of young Americans depended on baby formulas and the main question now is how to replace this milk without harming the baby.
Infant formula factories are temporarily closed in many states, the supply chain is at its worst and many parents have to find a way out because they can’t wait for things to get back on track.
How should parents navigate baby formula shortage?
1. The first step for parents who cannot find baby formula in supermarkets or pharmacies is to call their pediatrician. Your healthcare provider may have some samples in stock or connections to other local organizations that will help you to get the formula. Even if not, the pediatrician should be the first person you turn to, because they will tell you how to properly replace the formula and what your baby needs to be healthy.
2. If you have the possibility to buy the formula online, do it. But make sure that you are buying from a reliable source, as there are a lot of frauds on the Internet that take advantage of desperate women and sell fakes. Do the research on social media groups as there are many of them that offer some ideas on how to find the formula online. Don’t forget to check the reviews and don’t buy from individuals or auction sites.
3. You can always switch to another brand or country of origin, especially if a formula is labeled «gentle» or «sensitive». That’s not a problem for a baby to change to another formula, but make sure the main ingredients are similar and this formula is suitable for your little one’s needs. Try to find one with similar content of proteins and carbs in order to not cause the baby’s negative reaction.
Organic European formula became one of the most popular choices for American families. Even though European ones are considered to be higher quality and more digestible, it’s quite problematic to get them. Americans need to wait for the delivery and obviously, the prices are higher. But with the latest events, parents prefer buying them to other mediocre conventional formulas.
4. You can buy ready-to-feed bottles with formula milk. They are not so affected by the shortage but are more expensive indeed. If money is not a problem for you, this milk makes a great option.
5. For babies who are over 6 months of age, parents can introduce more solids on a daily basis. They will make your baby full and your little one will gradually need less formula milk. Offer a baby different kinds of food that are soft and safe. Make the baby’s diet as diverse as possible by giving vegetables and fruits in different shapes and colors.
6. Homemade formula is an alternative but not really recommended by experts. They claim that it’s difficult for parents to make the formula as nutritious and safe as their baby needs. Sometimes such experiments can turn into vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and even worse consequences.
What shouldn’t you do during a baby formula shortage
In desperation, parents resort to various experiments with homemade formulas or giving pure milk of animal or plant origin. But this action can lead to adverse reactions in your loved one and cause some health issues. So these are things that are better to avoid:
- making your own formula as you can make a mistake with the number of ingredients and make it completely unhealthy
- Don’t dilute your current formula as your little one can end up with electrolyte imbalances
- Don’t buy formulas from individual and unreliable marketplaces as you can receive a fake that breaks the bank
- Don’t give your baby pure cow’s or goat’s milk as it needs to be pasteurized in order to kill harmful bacteria
- Don’t skip reading the instructions while trying a new formula.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.