Living with another person is all about give and take, the good, the bad and the sometimes-awful times, the complete package of a romantic living-together relationship can be a lot to manage. Before we can take a look at our partner, we need to so some self-assessment and that will lead to some areas you need to work on.
Here are a few aspects of a relationship that you might be able to improve.
- Reliability – Are you reliable when it comes to your partner? You need to be there for each other and if she had you booked to accompany her to an event, you had best rework your schedule and honour your word. Sacrifice is part and parcel of any relationship and we would all do well to remember that.
- Sex life – Only you know how things are in the bedroom; search online for sex toys and order a few things to add some spice to the bedroom department. It is important that you and your partner can openly discuss your sexuality and be honest with each other; why not inject some spice with a few toys?
- Support – Of course, you will say that you support your partner, but to what degree? In the event your soulmate has a bad day at work, can you pick up on that and offer emotional support? We can usually feel a tension when our partner had work issues or a conflict with a friend and letting your partner know you are a good listener means the world.
- Spontaneity – Don’t be the kind of guy who is predictable all the time; plan a surprise dinner and book a long-weekend in Paris for the ultimate Valentine’s Day gift. Familiarity breeds contempt, or so the saying goes and if you are a creature of habit, throw a few curveballs now and then. It can be difficult to admit to yourself that you are boring, but injecting some spontaneity into your relationship is always going to be a good thing. It requires a lot of work to nurture a relationship and being unpredictable is something to aim for.
- Setting goals together – This is an important aspect of a relationship and one that is often overlooked; if you have a shared vision, this provides a solid relationship foundation and you can motivate each other when things don’t go as planned. Do you have a plan for the future? Maybe your partner is worried about the future but hasn’t mentioned it; choose the time and introduce the topic of a joint future, which should lead to a positive dialogue.
Whether your partner works or not, it is important to self-assess your performance within the relationship and if there are areas you need to work on, this will strengthen the relationship. Your partner will recognise your approach and that will lead to appreciation and a stronger bond.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.