If the homeowner decided to replace the windows, but the product received turns out to be of the wrong size, this can frustrate their plans for a while. If they are not changed to the desired size, this will create a lot of problems:
- If the windows are small, it will open space for drafts.
- If the windows are large, this will require additional work to be done by cutting out part of the wall or cutting the frame.
- It will deform windows if the master manages to fit large windows into an insufficient opening.
To avoid such challenges, it is important to learn how to measure windows correctly. Follow this guide to take all measurements. And if you are still afraid that you might make a mistake, entrust this task to the contractor who will then install them.
What Does Full Frame Replacement Windows Mean?
When replacing windows, there are two main ways to perform this job:
- Remove the old inset window, installing a new one in its place. This is a cheaper option. It is suitable if the frame is not damaged and has not lost its aesthetic appearance.
- Get rid of the entire frame, including jambs, window sill, and trim, and change the entire construction for the new one. This option is called full frame replacement windows.
How to Take Measurements for a Window Correctly?
Follow the algorithm of the Lawrence replacement windows service to take the three main measurements required to make a window.
Take the Old Frame out of the Window
If you are replacing windows during the warm season, the easiest way is to remove the frame from the window to make all measurements accurate. The frame itself should not be measured as it could have been deformed during its service. Set it aside and go to the window opening.
What Measurements Should Be Done
The following three indicators are important for window replacement:
Since the millimeter scale is more accurate, write down all indicators in centimeters and millimeters, even if you are used to counting in inches
in everyday life.
All Metrics Are Measured in Three Different Locations
Window openings are not always perfectly rectangular. Therefore, all measurements are taken in three places: along the edges of the perimeter and in the middle:
- Measure the width at three places and write down the smallest value so as not to deform the frame during installation.
- Measure the height at three places and write the smallest value.
- Do the same with the window depth.
The window should be slightly smaller than the opening so that it can be leveled during installation. Otherwise, it will get stuck and possibly stand crooked. The remaining space on the sides is filled with special insulation and gaskets. Various contractors prefer to leave a space of 1 to 2.5 cm empty on each side of the window, except for the depth. Therefore, before making a final order for the manufacture of windows, consult with the contractor about what gap they prefer.
Where to Find a Good Window Replacement Contractor in Lawrence, KS?
The most trusted contractors in Lawrence will be provided to you on the HomeQuote platform. Here, you can calculate the estimate of the future project for free. Specify the number of windows, their style and type, and frame material. The platform will immediately create the most accurate project estimate, including installation quotes from different contractors in your area. By comparing the received estimates, you can choose the one whose prices seem more attractive to you.
Measuring window openings is not difficult. This requires care and knowledge of the correct algorithm. As a result, you will get new windows that fit perfectly into the openings. They can be installed very quickly and, therefore, cheaply.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.