A vast number of similar games have been made during the years of the MMORPG genre’s existence. When it comes to the most well-known examples of the genre, World of Warcraft comes to mind first. Anyone who has played the game will tell you that it has had its ups and downs since its debut. But it’s worth debating if it’s worth it to play WoW after such a lengthy voyage. Was it able to be intriguing and bring something new, or did it fade into obscurity as demand faded?
What is WoW about?
Even before the release of World of Warcraft, this realm had a dedicated following of players. Blizzard Entertainment has created a new role-playing game that is connected to the previous tactics in the series. One of the creators’ ambitions was to achieve a high degree of co-op amongst gamers all around the world. By 2001, Blizzard had unveiled their project, which piqued the gaming community’s curiosity. WoW, servers were released in 2004 after three years of planning and anticipation.
Everyone who wished to immerse himself in the realm of Warcraft was informed right once that a monthly subscription charge was available. The corporation made no attempt to conceal the fact that its offering is a paid pleasure. In addition, the creators frequently published paid add-ons. Only 8 add-ons with new classes and tasks were introduced to the game. Of course, this drew the participants in, driving them to increase their financial investments.
Plus, characters need to be constantly upgraded, accumulate resources, improve skills, upgrade equipment, etc. Someone does everything on their own, starting with the early The Burning Crusade (2007), someone prefers to buy WoW TBC gold on the side and not bother.
Let’s consider the major advantages and disadvantages of World of Warcraft.
Pros of the WoW
- This is the genre’s greatest game. World of Warcraft has maintained its appeal over its long history. It is still a sought-after representative of the MMORPG genre’s classics. The popularity of the series arose as a result of a high-quality plot and an incredibly interesting universe, which attracted a large following. For example, while introducing new games in the genre, the term “Our product is a WoW killer” is frequently used. This illustrates that modern businesses are aware of who they should look up to. However, few people are able to deal with such competition.
- Beginner-friendly accessibility. World of Warcraft does not intimidate newbies, but rather assists them in becoming more comfortable. Other firms’ efforts are constantly rejecting new players with complicated and unintelligible alternatives. This may be due to the capacity to learn how to play as soon as possible, rather than the difficulty of the game itself. In Warcraft, you don’t have to spend much time figuring things out. The user interface is simple to understand and pleasant to all players. At the same time, management has no effect on the game’s difficulty or casualness.
- A wide range of plots. The plot was correctly prioritized by the developers. It is vital to notice that the tale does not remain static, but is enhanced by the game’s scenario. This is a major credit to the writers’ intricate discussions and missions. Even side tasks have a portion of an intriguing plot that truly draws the player’s attention.
- A lot of classes. Aside from the many races, there are numerous classes to be found. You can choose to play as melee or ranged characters. The physical and magical classifications of heroes are listed below. You can also take on the position of a supporter. I’d like to point out that each of the classes provided has its own set of unique talents and progression pathways.
- Well-developed PVP and PVE modes. Modes that have been well-developed have a significant impact on the overall perception. PVP and PVE are pretty well done. In PVP mode, for example, lags or friezes are quite unusual, despite the fact that they are present in most online projects. Even when fighting monsters, you can see flawless models, movement animations, strikes, and so forth.
Cons of the WoW
- Outdated graphics. Even the majority of fans accept that the game’s aesthetics are outdated. Although some of them say that this is a unique and identifiable visual of the series that cannot be modified in defense of their beloved WoW. In any case, the visual quality is prioritized in other genre films. Because the game was created over 15 years ago, the visuals are quite outdated. This, however, does not affect developers who refuse to increase the picture’s graphic quality.
- The grind presence. It’s a major flaw in the genre since it requires players to undergo tedious and unpleasant tasks. The requirement to slay enemies in large groups limits the amount of fun you have while playing the game. It may be manageable at first, but as the level progresses, the number of quests decreases, and the grind rises. Apart from the indiscriminate slaughter of diverse creatures and monsters, it appears that nothing new could be produced.
- Time eater. It takes a lot of time. Topics like “I lost a buddy because of World of Warcraft” are frequently discussed in the forums. These are some of the most absurd debates, but they are, sadly, true in certain circumstances. People start to sit down rather than enjoy the game. Friends, career, interests, and even family are among the things that some people overlook. There is an obsession that forces you to spend 5-8 hours every day online at the most. Representatives of a serious kind of addiction are currently spending 15 to 18 hours every day on their addiction.
- Not much free progress. This game has a cost, which includes a membership charge as well as the cost of the game itself. There are also paid add-ons available in the game. You add fresh progress to the tale by purchasing them. However, this is the core issue: few individuals enjoy paying for fresh content on a regular basis. And no one has been creating anything in the main version for a long time. Rather, they build a new paid add-on to collect “tribute” from the fans once more.
Is WoW worth playing?
World of Warcraft is a representation of the genre’s classics, with both benefits and drawbacks. It’s worthwhile to play if you don’t care about your time, money, or personal life, and you want to lose yourself in the game and forget about the outside world. Of course, no one can deny that the Blizzard initiative is unique and intriguing, but it’s important to remember that too much devotion to the virtual world might have a negative impact on a person’s life. As a result, be prepared to resist addiction when you begin playing World of Warcraft.
Vital Shpakouski Philologist with higher education, professional translator, former volunteer and teacher, entrepreneur, and salesperson with 13 years of experience. Now I’m a copywriter in Internet marketing, writing about everything that helps businesses grow and develop. In my free time, I create music and songs that no one hears and take photos and videos that no one sees.