MANCHESTER UNITED legend Sir Alex Ferguson will go down as one of the greatest football managers to ever live.
A 13-time Premier League champion, the Scot was a master tactician.
Sir Alex Ferguson dropped some gems during his career, including his iconic ‘football, bloody hell’ after Man Utd’s Champions League final comeback win over Bayern Munich in 1999Credit: Getty
Man Utd’s last-gasp 2-1 win inspired one of football’s most-recognisable quotes from FergieCredit: Action Images
Nothing proves that point quite like United’s demise since his retirement in 2013.
But not only was Fergie known for being an incredible manager, he has always been regarding as one of the most quotable.
As Ferguson celebrates his 80th birthday, we take a look at some of the ex-Man Utd boss’ most-memorable quotes…
1. “Football, bloody hell.”
- After Manchester United’s incredible, comeback win over Bayern Munich in the 1999 Champions League final.
2. “It’s getting tickly now — squeaky-bum time, I call it.”
- On the 2003 Premier League title race.
Ferguson once claimed Eric Cantona ‘was made for Man Utd’Credit: PA:Press Association
3. “If ever there was one player anywhere in the world that was made for Manchester United, it was Cantona.
“He swaggered in, stuck his chest out, raised his head and surveyed everything as though he were asking, ‘I’m Cantona. How big are you? Are you big enough for me?’.”
4. “My greatest challenge is not what’s happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their f***ing perch.
“And you can print that.”
- On the 2002-03 Premier League title.
5. “It was a freakish incident. If I tried it 100 or a million times it couldn’t happen again. If I could I would have carried on playing!”
6. “When an Italian says it’s pasta, I check under the sauce to make sure. They are innovators of the smokescreen.”
7. “I’m going to tell you the story about the geese which fly 5,000 miles from Canada to France.
“They fly in V- formation but the second ones don’t fly.
“They’re the subs for the first ones. And then the second ones take over — so it’s teamwork.”
8. “There has been a lot of expectation on Manchester City and with the spending they’ve done, they have to win something.
“Sometimes you have a noisy neighbour and have to live with it.”
- On Man City’s mega-money takeover and rise to the top.
9. “To not apologise for the behaviour of the players to another manager is unthinkable.
“It’s a disgrace but I don’t expect Wenger to ever apologise — he’s that type of person.”
10. “He was certainly full of it, calling me ‘Boss’ and ‘Big Man’ when we had our drink after the first leg.
“But it would help if his greetings were accompanied by a decent glass of wine. What he gave me was paint-stripper.”
- On his first impressions of self-professed ‘Special One’ Jose Mourinho.
11. “I used to have a saying that when a player is at his peak, he feels as though he can climb Everest in his slippers. That’s what he was like.”
⚽ Read our Manchester United live blog for the latest news and transfer gossip from Old Trafford
Paul Ince came in for some huge praise from Ferguson during his Man Utd daysCredit: Getty
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.