PAULO FONSECA is one of the favourites to succeed Steve Bruce as Newcastle manager, according to reports.
Bruce, 60, has been under growing pressure since the Saudi-led consortium completed their takeover of the club last week.
Paulo Fonseca has emerged as a leading candidate to replace Steve Bruce
Bruce is under increasing pressure as Newcastle boss
There has been considerable speculation about his future and possible replacements, with the likes of Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers already distancing themselves from the job.
But former Shakhtar Donetsk and Roma boss Fonseca is reportedly keen, and is now high on the new Toon’s owners’ shortlist, according to ESPN.
The Portuguese has been out of work since leaving Roma at the end of last season but he did come close to taking over at Tottenham in the summer.
He is said to be an interesting option for Toon due to his attacking style of play.
Fonseca also has a proven track record of success, winning the league and cup double three years in a row with Shakhtar Donetsk.
But the 48-year-old could face a battle for the Newcastle manager’s job.
For now, Bruce is still concentrating on the job at hand – the visit of Tottenham on Sunday is his 1000th game as a manager.
Ahead of the match he said: “It’s about the club going forward and more importantly getting a result on Sunday. We need a win to get us moving up the table.
“I know they’ll [the fans] be right behind the players in an atmosphere which I doubt we’ll have witnessed at St James’ Park in a long, long time.
“I’ll have a crack and try my utmost [to stay in the job], who wouldn’t want this opportunity? Any manager would love to sit in my chair, so I will make a fist of it.”
⚽ Read our Football news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.