MANCHESTER United has denied claims it covered up Antony’s assault allegations by ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin.
The £85million winger has denied assaulting Cavallin and vowed to clear his name after being quizzed by cops in Brazil.
Manchester United has strongly denied claims surrounding the assault allegationsCredit: Getty
Sao Paulo Civil Police are investigating the allegations of assault alongside Greater Manchester Police.
Cavallin accused the Brazilian star of physical aggression towards her on a number of occasions in bombshell claims.
But the Old Trafford outfit described any suggestion of a cover-up as “categorically false” tonight.
A Manchester United statement said: “Any suggestion that the club covered-up these allegations is categorically false.”
On Monday, amid further claims, Antony said he “trusts ongoing police investigations” to reveal the “truth about my innocence”.
The star volunteered himself for interview in June.
Meanwhile, United have also said that they will co-operate with any police inquiries.
Cavallin says she dated Brazil World Cup ace Antony, also 23, on and off for two years and lived with him in Amsterdam while he played for Ajax.
A total of four alleged attacks are described in a police report seen by respected sports news site ESPN.
One of these claims allegedly occurred at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Manchester on January 15.
Cavalli claims that United dispatched a senior player support officer to the hotel that night.
But according to Brazilian media, United confirmed that a member of staff arranged for a private doctor to visit Cavallin at Antony’s request.
However, the club denied that she was treated by any of the club’s medical staff, reports MailOnline.
Reports in Brazil said Utd made a statement: “It’s understood to be common for United’s welfare team to arrange for doctors to see partners and family members of players.
“The club insist that it was not aware of any of the allegations of assault against Antony until they appeared in the Brazilian media in June.”
On Monday evening, Antony issued a second statement on his Instagram profile
It read: “Out of respect for my fans, friends and family, I feel obliged to speak out publicly about the false accusations that I have been a victim of.
“From the beginning, I have treated this matter with seriousness and respect, providing the necessary clarifications to the police.
“The investigation is under judicial secrecy, and therefore I cannot make its contents public.
“However, I can calmly say that the accusations are false, and that the current evidence and the ones yet to be produced demonstrate my innocence.
“My relationship with Mrs. Gabriela was tumultuous, with verbal insults from both sides, but I never committed any physical aggression.
“Each time, whether in testimony or in an interview, she presents a different version of the accusations.
“Therefore, I come to vehemently deny the accusations made and inform you that I remain at the entire disposal of the Brazilian authorities to clarify anything.
“I trust that ongoing police investigations will demonstrate the truth about my innocence.”
Previously, Utd said in a club statement: “Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Antony and notes that the police are conducting enquiries.
“Pending further information, the club will be making no further comments.
“As a club, we are taking this matter seriously, with consideration of the impact of these allegations and subsequent reporting will have on survivors of abuse.”
United have been advised to proceed cautiously on the basis that police investigations are ongoing in both the UK and Brazil.