BENJAMIN Mendy has been accused of “treating women as though they existed purely for sex” as he appeared in court charged with rape.
The Manchester City left-back, 28, is accused of ten offences against seven women between October 2018 and August last year.
Benjamin Mendy has arrived at court today to face eight charges of rapeCredit: Getty
The Manchester City left-back, 28, is accused of ten offencesCredit: PA
He denies eight counts of rape, one count of sexual assault and one count of attempted rape.
The £52million defender today arrived at Chester Crown Court for the first day of his trial.
Timothy Cray QC, opening the trial for the prosecution, told the jury: “The prosecution case is simple.
“It has little to do with football. Instead, we say, it is another chapter in a very old story: men who rape and sexually assault women, because they think they are powerful, and because they think they can get away with it.”
Mr Cray said the feeling of the alleged victims, “counted for nothing”.
He added: “These women were disposable: things to be used for sex, then thrown to one side.
“That was the effect of deliberate, planned choices the defendants made, and the desires they let loose many times.”
He said Mendy was a “reasonably famous football player” who “because of his wealth and status, others were prepared to help him to get what he wanted”.
Mendy’s co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie, 40, is accused of eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assault, relating to eight women.
Mr Cray said Saha was Mendy’s friend and fixer and one of his jobs was “to find young women and to create the situations where those young women could be raped and sexually assaulted”.
He said: “The acts that the defendants did together show callous indifference to the women they went after. In their minds, and this could not be clearer, the stream of women they brought to their homes existed purely to be pursued for sex.”
Mr Cray told jurors they will hear from 13 different women.
He said: “Our case is that the defendants’ pursuit of these 13 women turned them into predators, who were prepared to commit serious sexual offences.”
He said “the fact they would not take ‘no’ for an answer” would be something the jurors will “hear time and time again”.
The jury heard, central to the case is Mendy’s home, The Spinney, described as an isolated mansion, in Mottram St Andrew in rural Cheshire.
Mr Cray said there were five dates, between October 2018 and August 2021, when nine young women arrived at Mendy’s address.
They afterwards made complaints of rape and, or sexual assault against Mendy and Saha.
There are also four separate complaints against Saha involving allegations away from Mendy’s house, in Manchester and Sheffield.
Mr Cray said Mendy’s home was “part and parcel” of how the defendants were able to abuse their alleged victims.
Once at the house the victims were vulnerable for a number of reasons, the jury heard, including having their mobile phones taken away once they arrived.
The acts that the defendants did together show callous indifference to the women they went after. In their minds, and this could not be clearer, the stream of women they brought to their homes existed purely to be pursued for sex
Prosecutor Timothy Cray QC
Some victims believed they were in locked rooms. Differences in ages and wealth between the defendants and the complainants also made them vulnerable, he added.
“Vulnerable, scared, isolated – these are words you’ll hear from lots of the witnesses,” Mr Cray added.
“Ask yourselves, as you get under the skin of what was happening, who had the power and control in the situations these women experienced and you will hear about?”
One rape was allegedly carried out in July 2021 while Mendy was on police bail after his arrest in November 2020.
One of the charges was also carried out on August 23 – just three days before he was charged, it is said.
Mendy is also accused of raping a woman three times at a Cheshire mansion in October 2020.
And the French international allegedly sexually assaulted a woman in early January 2021.
Around 30 reporters packed the press benches as Mr Cray began his opening address.
Mendy was bailed in January after spending 134 days in custody following his arrest in August.
Premier League champions Man City spent a reported £49.2million signing Mendy from French side Monaco in 2017.
He last played for the club on August 15, 2021, during their 1-0 defeat to Tottenham at the start of last season.
In September 2020, City boss Pep Guardiola revealed Mendy would be out of the game for at least a month due to an injury.
In a statement, the club later said: “Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.
“The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete.”
Co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie, 40, is accused of eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assaultCredit: PA
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.