FORMER Australian cricket star Stuart MacGill is facing charges over his alleged role in a cocaine supply plot – two years after he was reportedly kidnapped.
The 52-year-old, once ranked the second-best bowler on the planet behind his legendary team-mate Shane Warne, was arrested in Sydney on Tuesday.
MacGill has been charged for his alleged role in a cocaine supply plotCredit: Reuters
The fomer Aussie spinner had claimed he was kidnapped and beaten two years agoCredit: AP
The police’s investigation was sparked when he was allegedly abducted and beaten back in 2021.
The ex-spinner and Ashes hero has previously denied being involved in supplying drugs but is yet to enter a plea.
MacGill hit headlines across the globe in April 2021 after telling cops that he was forced into a car in the Sydney suburb of Cremorne.
He claimed that he was taken to a remote site on the outskirts of the city and was then assaulted.
The cricketer then said he was threatened at gunpoint before he was driven to a third location and released.
MacGill claimed that he sustained minor injuries in the alleged incident, however, he did not require medical care.
Discussing the alleged abduction, MacGill claimed “I’ve done nothing wrong” in an interview and the police said that he was “purely” a victim.
His then-partner’s brother and five other people have been charged over the incident.
A two-year probe ensued, and now police have decided to also charge MacGill with taking part in the supply of a large commercial quantity of a prohibited drug.
Local reports have been stating that the alleged deal involved over £160,000 of cocaine.
He has now been bailed and will return to court on 26 october.
MacGill played for the Australian cricket team between 1998 and 2008 and was their top wicket taker in the 1998/99 Ashes series with 27.