MANCHESTER United winger Antony has agreed to take “a period of absence” following allegations made against him.
Here we take a look at the allegations and what the footballer has said in response.
Antony strongly denies all allegations against himCredit: Getty
What are the allegations against Antony?
Antony faces allegations of domestic abuse from three women – one of which was made by his ex-girlfriend Gabriela Cavallin.
Cavallin accused the winger of physical aggression towards her on a number of occasions in bombshell claims.
It has been reported in Brazil that Gabriela has told police that Antony assaulted her four times.
She has shared pictures showing her bloodied clothes, sliced fingers, and a head wound which were allegedly the aftermath of his actions.
She previously alleged she was first attacked in June 2022 while pregnant and on holiday in Brazil.
She claimed in January 2023, Antony headbutted and punched her in a Manchester hotel, damaging a breast implant.
And in May 2023, she claimed he threw a glass at her, injuring her finger.
On September 9, 2023, model Cavallin urged Old Trafford bosses to ban him from playing while police investigate claims he assaulted her.
She told The Sun on Sunday: “Antony needs to be taken off the pitch. It’s disappointing he’s still allowed to play while there’s an investigation.
“I am absolutely destroyed by the whole process. How can life go on as normal for him? They can’t just know what they know now and not do anything. He needs to be removed.”
Two more women have made similar claims against the footballer.
Law student Rayssa de Freitas said she needed hospital treatment following an incident in May 2022, after she was allegedly attacked by Antony and a woman in his Land Rover after they left a Sao Paulo nightclub.
Ingrid Lana, a 33-year-old banker, has alleged in an interview in Brazil that Antony was sexually aggressive towards her while on a business trip to England in October.
Antony strongly denies all allegations against him.
He is currently being investigated by police in both Manchester and Sao Paulo – and was axed from the Brazil national team for their World Cup qualifiers this month.
What has Antony said in response to the allegations?
On September 10, 2023, Antony issued a full statement as he confirmed he would not be returning to train with Manchester United ”until further notice”.
He has been given a leave of absence by the club amid the allegations.
In a statement released on his Instagram, Antony said: “I have agreed with Manchester United to take a period of absence while I address the allegations made against me.
“This was a mutual decision to avoid distraction to my teammates and unnecessary controversy for the club.
“I want to reiterate my innocence of the things I have been accused of, and I will fully cooperate with the police to help them reach the truth.
“I look forward to returning to play as soon as possible.”