Wayne Couzens was treated for a head injury for the second time in 48 hours
Murder suspect PC Wayne Couzens was taken to hospital for a second time in 48 hours after suffering another head injury, the Met Police said.
The police officer needed treatment for an injury sustained in custody on Friday. He was later discharged and returned to a police station.
The incident came just a day after Couzens – who has been charged with the murder and kidnap of Sarah Everard – was found unconscious in his cell and had to be rushed to hospital.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said Couzens was being ‘monitored by officers’ when he was injured.
He said: ‘The suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment to a head injury sustained while in custody in a cell on Friday, March 12.
‘He was being monitored by officers and received immediate first aid. He was discharged the same day and returned to custody.’
During the earlier incident on Thursday, reports said Couzens was found collapsed injured in his cell and had to receive immediate treatment on the scene before being admitted to hospital.
He was discharged and returned to the police station on the same day. There is no suggestion anyone else was involved in either incident.
Wayne Couzens has been charged with the murder of Sarah Everard (Picture: SWNS)
Sarah Everard was missing for a week before her remains were found in a woodland in Kent
Couzens has been accused of murdering Ms Everard after her remains were found in a woodland in Ashford in Kent on Wednesday.
The marketing executive, 33, had been missing for more than a week after she disappeared while walking home from a friend’s house in Clapham, south-west London.
Scotland Yard confirmed on Friday afternoon that the remains found two days earlier had been identified as Ms Everard.
Couzens was arrested on Tuesday in Kent, with Commissioner Nick Ephgrave commenting at the time that the fact he is a serving police officer ‘is both shocking and deeply disturbing’.
Wayne Couzens served in the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command (Picture: REX)
Late on Friday, the Crown Prosecution Service confirmed charges will be brought against him. He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Saturday.
The Met Police said Couzens joined the force two years ago in September 2018 when he worked for a response team covering the Bromley area, before moving to the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command in February last year.
These armed officers guard Downing Street and the Palaces of Westminster as well as various embassies.
Couzens’ main job was uniformed patrol of diplomatic premises, according to the Met..
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.