Table of Contents
- Assimi Goita, center, leader of Malia’s ruling military junta, participates in a ceremony to receive a new shipment of Russian equipment on Aug. 9.
- Share your thoughts
- This undated file photograph issued by French military purports to show three Russian mercenaries, right, in northern Mali.
- Dry rivers in the Sahel desert of northern Africa, seen from the air.
- The Mauritanian herder told the Journal that the raiders took away around 35 people, and that he later found unidentifiable burned bodies.
- After six of his cousins and nephews disappeared during an attack by Malian army and Russian mercenaries, this Malian herder said he took his wife and children on a six-day trek to Mauritania.