The senior members of the royal family have agreed to step in and take some pressure off the Queen’s duties (Picture: PA)
The Queen’s diary will be scaled down until spring with senior royals set to step in while she rests, according to palace sources.
The family members have been dubbed the ‘Magnificent 7’ by courtiers, who hope the ‘joint approach’ will give Her Majesty more time to recover before her Platinum Jubilee next year.
The 95-year-old monarch was forced to pull out of attending the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph after straining her back in a fresh health scare.
The Queen had already been on doctors’ orders to rest for nearly a month after being admitted to hospital for preliminary investigations in October – her first overnight stay in a medical facility in eight years.
One royal source told The Mirror: ‘The Queen remains as sharp as a pin, but the reality is she needs to take a period of rest following an extremely busy start to normal duties after the coronavirus restrictions were lifted.
Prince Charles stepped in for his mother on Remembrance Sunday (Picture: Getty)
‘The senior members of the family are all aligned in that they will be available to help out wherever they can and for as long as is needed.’
Courtiers are understood to be taking a ‘cautious approach’ with the Queen’s diary moving forward, with no public engagements expected for the rest of the year.
Insiders with knowledge of the conversations said there should be a ‘realistic expectation’ that the sovereign’s engagements will be dramatically reduced throughout the winter months.
The re-arrangements mean any one of the seven senior royals could be asked to step in and take on extra roles or engagements.
Courtiers have said this ‘joined up approach’ will take on ‘extra significance’ in the Queen’s absence leading up to her Platinum Jubilee, which will be marked next June to celebrate her 70 years on the throne.
The Earl and Countess of Wessex are among those to step in and help the Queen (Picture: PA)
Princess Anne, the Queen’s daughter, will also help out (Picture: Getty)
Palace officials have insisted the Queen has ‘no intention of stepping back’ from royal duties but realises she will have to take on less in the future.
Her Majesty has had to cancel a scheduled appearance on Tuesday at the General Synod – the first time she has missed her five-yearly visit to the Church’s national assembly in its 51-year history.
She also missed COP26 and Saturday’s Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.
She was said to be ‘bitterly disappointed’ that she had to miss the service on Remembrance Sunday, a date which she regards as one of the ‘most sacred’ in her Calender of duties.
The Queen was forced to pull out of Remembrance Sunday due to spraining her back (Picture: WireImage)
Prince Charles stepped in for his mother, looking emotional as he honoured those who laid down their lives to protect others.
A palace spokesman said the Queen would continue to undertake ‘light duties’ while recovering from her bad back and is due to carry out virtual audiences in a few days’ time.
As she continues rest, the coming weekend marks a difficult milestone for the Queen.
Saturday would have been her and the Duke of Edinburgh’s 74th wedding anniversary – and it will be the first anniversary of their marriage to pass since Philip died in April, aged 99.
A source said: ‘The Queen has been and continues to be hugely comforted by many of her family rallying round this year and will no doubt be looking forward to being together for Christmas this year.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.