Table of Contents
- Victor Silva, seen in his apartment in Vitória on May 17, lost his wife after she gave birth to the couple’s second child.
- A photograph of Taíssa Souza, wife of Victor Silva, who had been healthy before contracting Covid-19.
- Health workers in the high-risk maternity ward of the Dr. Jayme Santos Neves Hospital in Vitória.
- At least 579 babies under the age of 1 have died from Covid-19 in Brazil since the start of the pandemic.
- A view of Vitória, the state capital of Espírito Santo.
- Rosangela Maldonado, coordinator of the high-risk maternity ward of the Dr. Jayme Santos Neves Hospital in Vitória.
- Bárbara Cesar was pregnant with twins when she contracted Covid-19 and began coughing so hard it would make her vomit.
- Ms. Cesar’s twins were delivered during an emergency caesarean section.
- Pregnant women in Brazil face the highest risk of dying from the disease in the region.