- Will Smith shared video clips of his new workout routine, including squats, curls, and rows.
- The actor recently started a fitness journey after being in “the worst shape of his life.”
- Being patient and making sustainable changes are key to getting back in shape, a trainer told Insider.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Will Smith is hitting the gym as part of his new fitness journey, and offered his Instagram fans a first peek at his exercise routine.
The 52-year-old actor posted a montage of clips from his workouts just a few weeks after telling fans that he was in “the worst shape of his life.”
The video shows Smith doing a variety of weighted exercises, including:
- Squats and leg presses: these movements recruit the big muscles of the legs including the quads, hamstrings, glutes, which makes them great for torching a lot of calories. They can also help you develop a more defined lower body and butt.
- Bicep curls and tricep dips: dumbbells exercises are great if you want to get strong, toned arms, but are less efficient because they focus on smaller muscle groups instead of working the whole body.
- Lat pull downs and rows: pulling movements like these are often underrated, according to trainers. They’re essential for developing a strong back, which can help with a muscular aesthetic as well as prevent injury.
Smith previously told fans on Instagram that he was proud of what many people termed his “dad bod.”
“This is the body that carried me through an entire pandemic and countless days grazing thru the pantry. I love this body, but I wanna FEEL better,” he wrote.
For getting back in shape, consistency and good habits are more important than the specific exercises you choose, Irving “Zeus” Hyppolite, personal trainer and founder of House Of Zeus in New York, previously told Insider.
And wherever you are on your fitness journey, it’s important to be kind to yourself, too (and celebrate the dad bod, if you have one).
“We’re starting to respect all dad bods without shame and guilt, whether you have gained weight or not,” Hyppolite said.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.