- I visited Dennistoun in Glasgow, which was recently named the coolest neighborhood in the UK and the eighth coolest neighborhood in the world by Time Out.
- After speaking to some of the locals, I discovered that Dennistoun is prided on its food and nightlife.
- However, when I visited on October 23, all restaurants and bars were closed in Glasgow due to the city’s lockdown restrictions.
- Cafes were still open, so I ate breakfast at Mesa on Duke Street — it turned out to be the highlight of my visit.
- But besides the nearby Alexandra Park, there wasn’t much to do in the neighborhood besides dining.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
I’ve called Glasgow, Scotland home for most of my life. But until last week, I had never visited Dennistoun — a neighborhood in the city’s east end which was recently named one of the coolest in the world.
Dennistoun came in at eighth place in Time Out’s top 40 coolest neighborhoods ranking in early October. The Glasgow district was the highest-ranking area in the UK, beating out London’s Soho which came in at 31st place on the list.
“Dennistoun feels like a secluded island in Glasgow’s East End,” The Time Out article reads. “Over the last decade or so, an influx of young people – mainly students from nearby Strathclyde University – has altered the demographic of this low-key, historically working-class neighborhood. Yet the tide of redevelopment is coming in slow, and its charming blonde and red sandstone tenements remain affordable to most.”
I was initially skeptical about the visit since the city’s lockdown restrictions meant that all restaurants and bars were closed when I visited on October 23. The area is prided on its good food and nightlife, and businesses have been hit by the COVID restrictions.
Reacting to the news of the ranking, one person wrote on Twitter: “I’m not convinced Dennistoun is the eighth coolest neighborhood in Glasgow, never mind the world,” while another wrote: “Confusing coolest with coldest.”
After visiting the area for myself, I can’t say I’m entirely convinced either.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.