MEGHAN Markle and Prince Harry have been SNUBBED by the Dutch royals on their first overseas trip together – after saying the UK is too dangerous to visit.
The Sussexes WON’T be greeted with a red carpet or royal reception – and will stay in a hotel rather than being hosted by the Dutch royals, it was reported.
Meghan and Harry won’t receive a royal reception when they arrive for the Invictus GamesCredit: Getty
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of The Netherlands won’t be offering Meghan and Harry somewhere to stay, it’s been reportedCredit: Getty
Dutch King Willem-Alexander and Princess Margriet will attend the seven-day Invictus Games for wounded soldiers at The Hague’s Zuiderpark.
But there will be no official royal reception, audience, or red carpet for the couple.
The Dutch royal family are expected to attend the games but Harry and Meghan will not be staying at their palaces – and instead, they’ll be staying in a hotel in The Hague.
Traditionally the Dutch royal family do host foreign royals – but this has not been extended to Meghan and Harry, a spokesperson confirmed.
It’s believed the pair may be handed a ‘VIP status’ by Dutch police instead.
Meanwhile, the Sussexes have been told they can’t have private armed security guards on their first trip to Europe since Megxit.
Harry and Meghan are believed to employ armed security from A-list bodyguards to the stars Gavin de Becker when they are in America.
Last night Dutch authorities said Harry and Meghan’s private close protection officers cannot be armed if they travel to Holland for the Invictus Games this weekend.
This comes as the Duke of Sussex is suing the British government after his taxpayer-funded Met Police armed guards were removed when he quit royal duty.
In High Court papers the duke says he “does not feel safe” in Britain without armed security and says the decision is “unlawful and “unfair” Harry, 37, and Meghan, 40, are believed to have armed protection in the US but are not allowed to use them when they come to Britain.
Harry and Meghan will be joined by a Netflix film crew for a documentary as part of their £112million deal with the streaming giants.
He’s is expected to make a speech at the opening ceremony on Saturday.
A spokesman for the Dutch Royal family said: “King Willem-Alexander and Princess Margriet will attend the Invictus Games.
“The Princess will be present at the opening ceremony on April 16th, the King at the closing ceremony on April 22nd.”
Meghan has not been in the UK since she flew to Canada just hours after the Commonwealth Day ceremony at Westminster Abbey in March 2020.
Harry has returned for the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral and unveiling of Princess Diana’s statue last year.
And it’s been reported by royal experts that Meghan will only return to the UK if she can bring Netflix cameramen with her.
Speaking about the Invictus Games trip, expert Angela Levin told The Sun Online: “Meghan is going because they’re doing the next Netflix documentary.
“They’re going with cameras, and she wouldn’t want to miss out on the publicity.
“The Invictus Games don’t belong to her, she likes taking over things that she thinks will be productive for her. She’s not necessary there.”
When asked whether she believes Meghan and Harry will return to the UK this year, she said: “I think they’ll come back if we’ll allow them to bring Netflix cameramen, they won’t come otherwise.”
Dutch Princess Margriet will attend the seven-day Invictus Games with the KingCredit: AFP
Meghan has not been in the UK since she flew to Canada just hours after the Commonwealth Day ceremony at Westminster Abbey in March 2020Credit: PA
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.