A great centrepiece (Picture: Le Creuset)
There’s not long to go now before the Jubilee bumper bank holiday and lots of people are planning something special to celebrate.
So, whether you’re having a street party, heading to a picnic or hosting a BBQ, it’s likely you’ll want to bring something special for the occasion.
And what better than a Union Jack-inspired traybake cake to mark 70 years of Her Majesty on the throne?
The below recipe for the sweet treat, courtesy of Le Creuset, is super-simple to make and looks pretty impressive on the table.
There’s even a handy video to help you along.
It’s perfect alongside a cuppa, too – so we are sure Queen Elizabeth II herself would approve.
Union Jack Jubilee Traybake recipe
For the cake:
- 1 lemon, juice, and zest
- 60ml Greek natural yoghurt
- 225g soft butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the topping:
- 300ml double cream
- 300g cream cheese
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 large punnet blueberries
- 1 large punnet strawberries cut into quarters, or eighths if they are very large
- 1 large punnet raspberries
1. Pre-heat the oven 180°C/ fan 160°C/ Gas 4 and lightly butter a 26cm stoneware dish.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Gradually add the beaten eggs whisking continuously.
4. Fold in the flour and baking powder.
5. Add the yogurt, lemon juice and zest – folding in carefully.
6. Place the mixture into the prepared dish and make a hollow in the centre.
7. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean. Then leave to cool a little and then remove from the dish (if you want).
8. When completely cold whisk together the double cream, cream cheese, caster sugar and the lemon juice and zest until thick. Then spread the mixture over the top of the cake.
9. Use the fruit to make the pattern of a Union Jack on the cake allowing the cream mixture to be the white stripes.
10. To serve, cut into squares.
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch by emailing MetroLifestyleTeam@Metro.co.uk.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.