DEREK Draper was struck down by Covid-19 in early 2020.
Ever since then the author and former psychotherapist – who is married to broadcaster Kate Garraway – has been enduring an on-going health battle.
Kate Garraway’s husband Derek Draper was able to watch his wife receive her MBECredit: Andrew Matthews-Pool/Getty Images
What is the latest on Kate Garraway’s husband Derek Draper?
Brave Kate has been keeping the public updated on her husband’s condition ever since he was first diagnosed with Covid
Derek was left in a critical condition after he caught the virus in early 2020 and spent 13 months in hospital.
He has since been battling a variety of health problems, after the virus caused brain inflammation, kidney failure, and damage to his liver and pancreas.
After returning home from hospital in 2021, Derek has had to return to hospital several times but has made great strides in his fight to regain in his health.
In June 2023 he watched on as his Good Morning Britain star wife was awarded an MBE.
He attended the ceremony at Windsor Castle on June 28, where Kate was given the award by Prince William for her services to broadcasting, journalism and charity.
Just days after Kate received her MBE, she revealed that Derek was rushed to hospital after the happy occasion.
Writing a lengthy statement on Instagram, Garraway revealed how her husband ended up back in hospital – and would have return to the ward again as his “struggle continues”.
Reflecting on her MBE, Kate told fans: “Well what a week, that started with Derek in hospital and ended with Derek in hospital, but with this extraordinary day in the middle.
“I am so incredibly moved and humbled by the whole experience. So many of you have sent so many lovely messages, including the lady who stopped her car a few minutes ago outside our house to say ‘I know what you’re going through, and I know how much that moment meant and I am a nurse.’
“It was so wonderful to see Derek’s determination to be there. So kind of the Prince of Wales, to make it special for him and to recognise the work of Jake our incredible carer, who represents all those who make Derek’s daily life possible.
“And of course my long-suffering mum and dad.
“It was also so humbling to meet all the others, much more deserving than myself, who were there to receive their honours.
“The Prince of Wales managed to make every single one of them feel as special as they are.
“Tomorrow Derek is back in hospital and of course the daily struggles go on – but the fact that he was able to be part of Wednesday is to be treasured and I can’t thank everyone in the NHS and all around him who love him for making it possible.”
The couple’s outing to Windsor Castle came a few weeks after Kate, who shares daughter Darcey and son Billy with Derek, revealed that her husband is now able to communicate by whispering.
Kate has documented Derek’s recovery in two documentaries, titled Caring For Derek and Finding Derek, and she has confirmed she is working on an untitled third documentary.
The presenter is also releasing a second book, The Strength of Love, in late 2023.
Kate previously told how the father to her children is “trapped” in his body and has travelled twice to Mexico to seek specialist help.
She told The Sun that the gruelling trip required “extraordinary effort” and but she hopes he will return for another round of treatment.
- January 7, 2021: Kate reveals her kids saw sick husband Derek for the first time since March 2020 over Christmas, but lockdown means she’s banned from seeing him again.
- February 11, 2021: Kate returns to GMB and reveals her heartache after being unable to see Derek since Christmas and says there’s “no end in sight”.
- February 26, 2021: Dr Hilary reveals he has been supporting Kate.
- March 20, 2021: Kate said her seriously-ill husband Derek’s brain is “no longer his friend”.
- March 23. 2021: Kate’s Finding Derek documentary airs and reveals the heartbreaking moment her husband woke up from his coma.
- April 8, 2021: Derek set to return home where he will continue to receive round-the-clock care.
- April 9, 2021: Derek is finally back in his family home in North London after over a year in hospital.
- September 9, 2021: Kate was left in tears as she accepted an NTA gong for her documentary about Derek.
- October 9, 2021: Kate claimed Derek is still sleeping 20 hours a day and is unable to communicate as he did before contracting Covid.
- October 21, 2021: Kate revealed Prince Charles is the royal who extended a helping hand amid Derek’s Covid battle during the Prince’s Trust Awards at St James’ Palace in London.
- June 8, 2023: Kate appears on Loose Women and says Derek can communicate by whispering.
- June 28, 2023: Derek watches on as Kate is awarded her MBE by Prince William.
- July 2, 2023: Kate reveals that Derek ended up in hospital shortly after her MBE ceremony.
- September 11, 2023: Kate reveals heartbreaking reason she kept terrifying hospital dash secret amid Derek’s health battle.