Homemade gnocchi (Picture: Getty Images/iStockphoto)
Gnocchi is a delicious potato dumping, often served up with the same sort of sauces as pasta.
It’s actually really easy to make at home and a great way to use up any leftover mashed potato.
Unlike making pasta, you don’t have to use any particular equipment.
All you need is potatoes, eggs and flour. This recipe serves two, so you can scale it up if you have more.
The gnocchi freezes really well and you can just cook from frozen so it’s great to have some for a delicious meal when you’re short on time.
Rolling out the gnocchi (Picture: Getty Images/iStockphoto)
- 250g floury potatoes (either uncooked or leftover mash)
- 100g flour (you may need slightly more, depending on the size of your egg and moisture in the potatoes)
- One egg
Shaping it with a fork (Picture: Getty Images/iStockphoto)
- If you are using potatoes rather than leftover mash, start by boiling them in a pan of salted water for about 10-15 minutes until soft the whole way through. Once cooked, remove the skins.
- If you have a ricer, use it on the small hole setting to get the mash as fine and lump free as possible. If you don’t have a ricer, a standard masher will work but work at it for as long as possible.
- Once you have the mash, put a little flour on a work surface, tip the potato onto it and make a well in the middle. Add the egg to the well and a little flour.
- Pull the sides into the middle, slowly blending everything together. Keep adding flour and blending with your hands until it becomes a hard, bouncy dough. You’re aiming for something that holds together, doesn’t feel sticky and can be easily shaped.
- Divide the dough into two pieces and roll into a long cylinder. Slice it into thumbnail sized pieces. You can cook them like this in boiling water or add a pattern by rolling along a fork, which helps the sauce stick to them.
- Once made , you can choose how to cook them or freeze them for later.
Do you have a recipe to share?
Get in touch at email@example.com.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.