There are various diseases that plague people all around the world, but the most complicated is the brain and nervous system disorders. Neurology is a broad field that deals with such disorders. Even with the advances in medical science, many aspects of the nervous system still puzzle doctors and scientists around the world.
A neurologist treats any diseases related to the central, peripheral, and autonomic nervous systems, including brain, spinal cords, and nerves. Neurological disease can be characterised by common symptoms like epilepsy, headaches, strokes, and movement disorders.
Many experts suggest that the best treatment for these disorders is early, preventive measures. That is why you should consult with the best neurology hospitals in Bangalore as soon as you notice any symptoms.
Symptoms to look out for:
If you notice any of the following symptoms, you need to consider finding a neurologist immediately. You might notice more than one symptom at a time, or persistent, recurring symptoms.
Severe headaches, dizziness, tingling or numbness on one side of the body, chronic pain, seizures, intense feeling of weariness in the muscles, the problem with movement, tremors, changes in your visions, changes in your mood, trouble speaking or remembering things, sleep problems are the main symptoms to look for.
When you visit a neurologist, they will ask about your medical history, family medical history, and more information about your symptoms. They will also run several tests like MRI, Ultrasound, spinal taps, or others, depending on your symptoms.
What to consider when looking for a neurologist:
Looking for a neurologist who understands your needs and preferences might be a daunting process, but it will help you in the long run. Here are a few factors to consider:
- Referrals: Try and get as many referrals as you can from your primary doctor, your family and friends circles, and other healthcare providers you trust. Take your time while going through these and look out for credentials, experience, and patient reviews. As you narrow the list, book a consultation with the shortlisted doctors to see how they fit. Try looking for referrals within your circle and people you know as it will be a much faster process.
- Experience: In a field like neurology, any procedure is extremely risky and requires high finesse. You or your family members will only want experienced doctors to treat you. A neurologist who has more experience in treating the condition you’re facing will treat better with fewer complications. Ask the doctor for their experience in the field and how many patients with your disorder they have treated. You can also ask about the survival rates or complications with their treatment.
- Quality of the Hospital: Your doctor’s hospital is where you will be spending a massive amount of time. Consider the quality of service provided by the hospitals along with the kind of equipment used by them. Hospital quality is something important to consider because many reports suggest that quality is directly related to the chances of complications. Also, look out for the location of the hospital, because it has to be convenient for you. The closer the hospital is, the less you’ll have to stress about travelling for multiple tests and appointments.
- First impressions: A doctor that you spend so much time with needs to be someone you can trust and feel comfortable around. You want to look out for their communication styles, approachability, and welcoming nature right from the first consultation. You must be able to feel like you can have open communications with the doctor and that you will get all the answers to any questions or concerns. You may also want someone who will respect your treatment preferences.
- Credentials: The doctor’s accreditation can tell you a lot about the kind of experience, training, expertise, and skills a doctor has. This can help you choose a neurologist whom you can trust with your condition and ensure that there will not be any unnecessary complications.
The factors mentioned can be crucial for your search for a neurologist. It is essential that you visit your options in person and put together all the information you need to ensure a successful treatment.
If you notice any signs of neurological disorders or if you have a family history of neurological conditions, consult with the best neurology hospital in Bangalore immediately. The final choice lies with you, but you can always consider your family’s opinions.