THE accuser in Bill Cosby’s criminal trial has spoken out against his overturned sexual assault conviction.
Andrea Constand told TMZ that she thought the star’s release could discourage sexual assault victims from seeking justice through the courts in the future.
Read our Bill Cosby live blog for the latest news and updates…
Bill Cosby accuser Andrea Constand has said she finds the comedian’s overturned sexual assault conviction troublingCredit: AP:Associated Press
Cosby, 83, was released from prison on Wednesday after serving three years of a three-to-10-year sentence
Cosby served three years of a three-to-10-year sentence at a state prison near Philadelphia before his sexual assault conviction was overturned by Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court in a stunning reversal on Wednesday.
Moments after returning home, the comedian said: “I never changed my stance nor my story.”
Constand had previously testified in court that 83-year-old Cosby had given her three blue pills and then sexually assaulted her.
She said the court’s decision is concerning because “it may discourage those who seek justice for sexual assault in the criminal justice system from reporting or participating in the prosecution of the assailant or may force a victim to choose between filing either a criminal or civil action.”
As Cosby was released from prison, it emerged:
Constand and her team added that they were never aware of any agreement between Cosby and the former prosecutor that would grant him immunity.
Three other women who have accused Cosby – Sammie Mays, Sarita Butterfield and Angela Leslie – also spoke out about the comedian’s release on Wednesday, saying that they, too, think he’s dangerous.
Former Playboy Bunny Victoria Valentino – who accused Cosby of drugging and raping her in 1970, when she was 24 – told ABC: “My stomach is lurching and I am deeply distressed, he’s a sociopath, he’s a serial rapist.”
While more than 50 other women across the U.S. have accused Cosby of sexual assault and misconduct, statues of limitations in their cases make further prosecution unlikely.
Constand had previously testified in court that Cosby had given her three blue pills and then sexually assaulted her.Credit: Reuters
Cosby was released from the State Correctional Institution just before 3pm ET, just two hours after the decision was made.
Learning of the news on Wednesday afternoon, Cosby reportedly said “wow” and “unbelievable.”
Returning to his home in Elkins Park, Pa., a grinning Cosby flashed a peace sign and dodged questions from reporters.
The 83-year-old, who was once beloved as “America’s Dad,” was convicted of drugging and molesting the Constand, a Temple University employee, at his suburban estate.
Throughout the proceedings, however, Crosby always maintained his innocence, vowing to serve all 10 years rather than acknowledge any remorse over the alleged 2004 incident involving Costand.
In a tweet, Cosby wrote: “Thank you to all my fans, supporters and friends who stood by me through this ordeal. Special thanks to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court for upholding the rule of law.”
Cosby, who returned home on Wednesday, has always denied the accusations
More than 50 other women across the U.S. have accused Cosby of sexual assault and misconduct, but statues of limitations in their cases make further prosecution unlikely
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.