FOR the next few weeks it is all about table-top dressing – and we have found the ideal item of clothing.
What’s the snag? You’d usually find it in your grandmother’s wardobe.
The cardigan has hit a purl-ple patch, with our favourite stores full of buttoned-up woollies. Zoom party, working video meetings, virtual dates — there’s a cardi for every occasion.
Fashion writer and stylist Abby McHale shows you how to look fit in a knit, and gives tips on how to accessorise your outfit for maximum impact on screen.
Throw a cardigan over a bra for a steamy video call
- Beige cardigan, £35.99, Topshop – buy now
- Necklace, £22, Orelia – buy now
- Candle, £23.50 set of 3, Oliver Bonas – buy now
- Coaster, £10 pack of 4; mug, £6, both Next – buy now
Abby says: “For those in long-distance relationships, a cardigan strewn over a bra is the perfect outfit for a steamy call over Facetime. It’s cosy and sexy and the ruffle sleeves show you’ve made an effort too.”
Match your cardigan with a knit top for a virtual lunch
- Cardigan, £29.99, Topshop – buy now
- Top, £19.99, Topshop – buy now
- Necklace, £16.50, Topshop – buy now
- Hair tie, £6, Skinny Dip London – buy now
- Hair clip, £14, Skinny Dip London – buy now
- Make-up brush holder, £5, Next – buy now
Abby says: “Matching cardigan and knit combos are all the rage and in this lilac shade from Topshop, you’ll be bang on trend for a video lunch with friends. Accessorise with a statement necklace.”
Opt for a sparkly cardi and a bright fuscia top for a first date
- Cardigan, £34.99, H&M – buy now
- Blouse, £29.99, Topshop – buy now
- Hair clips, £7.99, Reserved – buy now
- Earrings, £8, Skinny Dip London – buy now
- Wine glass, £34 set of 4; tea light, £10; coaster, £19.50 set of 4; all available at Oliver Bonas – buy now
Abby says: “Keep comfortable but still sparkling with this jewelled cardigan.
“Add a pop of fuchsia underneath with a fancy blouse for a date-night look.”
A thin cardi and a headband will give you that smart casual weekend look
- Pink cardigan, £22, Nasty Gal – buy now
- Earrings, £6, Skinny Dip London – buy now
- Watch, £32, Next – buy now
- Headband, £12, River Island – buy now
- Notebook, £10.50 set of 3; coaster, £19.50 set of 4, both Oliver Bonas – buy now
- Quote cards, £5; pen, £5 set of 3; Next – buy now
Abby says: “Channel a smart casual weekend look for your family Zoom quiz.
“With a thin cardi, you won’t get too hot under the collar when bickering with siblings over the answers. Team with a headband.”
An argyle pattern is ideal for a job interview or work meeting
- Check cardigan, £30, Nasty Gal – buy now
- Roll-neck, £26, River Island – buy now
- Earrings, £7.50, Topshop – buy now
- Headband, £12.50, Topshop – buy now
- Neck scarf, £80, Furla – buy now
- Broaches, £19.50, Oliver Bonas – buy now
- Plant, £10; notebook, £6, both at Debenhams – buy now
- Pen, £7 set of 2, Next – buy now
Abby says: “Look the part for a job interview with this buttoned-up outfit. Preppy checks are one of the most sought-after patterns around.
“Wear with a chunky headband and a clashing neck scarf to complete your look.”
This chevron print cardigan is bright, fun and playful
- Chevron cardigan, £39.99, Mango – buy now
- Roll-neck, £17.99, H&M – buy now
- Necklace, £15, Orelia – buy now
- Rings, £6; earrings, £14, both Claires – buy now
- Glass, £26 set of 4; paperweight, £22, both Oliver Bonas – buy now
- Diary, £6, Next – buy now
Abby says: “Get your glam on in this chevron print cardigan. It’s bright, fun and playful with a touch of sparkle.
“It looks great with a polo-neck but if your Zoom drinks turn into a party, you could whip that off and show some skin.”
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL email@example.com
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.