Well, that’s our dreams crushed (Picture: Columbia Pictures; Getty)
Spider-Man fans have been in a tizzy over the rumours that Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield will join Tom Holland for a Peter Parker multiverse extravaganza in the upcoming film No Way Home.
But while the stars have played coy so far, brushing off reports and claiming they’re in the dark, Andrew has given the strongest denial so far – so that’s our dreams crushed.
The 37-year-old, who played Peter Parker in The Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2, confirmed that he is not in No Way Home, begging fans to ‘chill’ over the rumours.
Speaking on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, Andrew said: ‘I can’t speak for anything else, but for myself. They might be doing something, but I ain’t got a call.
‘I see how often Spider-Man is trending and it’s like people freaking out. And I’m just like, “guys, guys, guys” — I wish I could just be able to speak to everyone and say, “I recommend that you chill.”’
The actor, who is currently promoting his new film Mainstream, added: ‘I would’ve gotten a call by now. That’s what I’m saying.’
Perhaps realising that this is quite the blow for fans of the theory, Andrew joked with host Josh Horowitz that he may still receive a call after Marvel and Sony see how popular the rumour is.
Tom Holland’s third standalone Spidey movie is out this December (Picture: Sony)
He also told Entertainment Tonight that it was a ‘cool idea’, and said: ‘It’s not something I’ve really thought about because I closed the book
on it for myself and I haven’t had to think about it.
‘So it’s not something that I’ve really considered. So, yeah, that’s my
As strong as Andrew’s denial was, it’s hardly going to quash the rumour completely.
Two classic villains from his and Tobey’s Spider-Man eras have already been confirmed for No Way Home, Tom Holland’s third and final standalone Spidey film in the MCU.
Alfred Molina will return as Otto Octavius, aka Doc Ock, who was poised to be Tobey’s Peter Parker’s mentor when a lab accident turned him into tentacled villain.
While Doc Ock died in 2004’s Spider-Man, Molina confirmed that anything is possible in this universe, and told Variety: ‘When we were shooting it, we were all under orders not to talk about it, because it was supposed to be some great big secret. But, you know, it’s all over the internet. I actually described myself as the worst kept secret in Hollywood!’
OG Spider-Man villain Doc Ock is back (Picture: Sony)
Meanwhile, Jamie Foxx will be back to play Electro, the villain he first played in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – so you can understand why the fandom is so convinced that the Spideys these two villains faced in their respective franchises will be back.
It was also rumoured that Kirsten Dunst (Mary-Jane Watson from the Sam Raimi trilogy) and Emma Stone (Gwen Stacy in The Amazing Spider-Man films) could return.
However, we may just have to wait until the film’s release in December – or until Tom Holland slips up and spills the beans – to see if any of the rumours are true, and Andrew’s just been telling fibs.
Tom, 24, is back to play Peter Parker after Homecoming and Far From Home, with Zendaya returning as MJ, Jacob Batalon playing Ned, and Marisa Tomei playing Aunt May.
The movie will tie into Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, with Benedict Cumberbatch’s Dr Stephen Strange slated to star.
No Way Home will be the fourth film released as part of Phase Four of the MCU, following the much-delayed Black Widow, Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, and Eternals.
Spider-Man: No Way Home is scheduled for release on December 17, 2021.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.