A NHS worker suffered through her holiday from hell after contracting an “agonising” stomach infection while on a TUI holiday.
Healthcare assistant Charlotte Wilde said she caught a bug after falling into a mould-covered swimming pool at a resort in Greece.
Charlotte was left bed-bound for days after falling in the pool in Greece
The NHS worker contracted the Shigella bug and collapsed earlier this monthCredit: Charlotte Wilde
The 28-year-old felt severely unwell after contracting the Shigella bug and collapsed at the Golden Odyssey Hotel in Rhodes, Greece on July 3.
Charlotte, of Haycock, Merseyside, went to A&E in Whiston, St Helens, Merseyside, on her return to the UK on Sunday where she was put on antibiotics.
She returned home on Tuesday and said doctors had told her the bug was from swimming pools that hadn’t been cleaned properly.
Horrified Charlotte told The Sun: “I was scared. I was in agony, absolute agony. I felt like I had given birth to a human being.
“It killed me. I felt like my insides were going to fall out. It lasted for days. It’s been going on for two weeks.
“I didn’t go into the pool at first. I was on a lilo and I came off the lilo and fell in the pool and then two days later I collapsed and was constantly on the toilet 15 times a day.
HOLIDAY FROM HELL
“There’s all mould and fungi around the pool and on the steps.
“Anything I was eating and drinking was coming straight back out me.”
Charlotte had gone to the holiday resort for a month-long holiday on Greece on June 25, following weight loss keyhole surgery to remove part of her stomach.
She was left with half a centimetre incision and was told she was safe to go into the pool after 10 days had passed.
Twelve days after the operation, she fell into the pool on July 1 and began to feel seriously unwell.
But she avoided going to the hospital in Greece in case it delayed her getting back to the UK safely.
I was scared. I was in agony, absolute agony.
She added: “On the third that is when I collapsed. I was coming out of the toilet. I was on the toilet and I had finished everything but felt really dizzy. I didn’t make it to the bed.
“I only got back on the ninth. I went to the chemist when I was abroad. I still had diarrhoea.
“I was taking paracetamol for the cramps. I was constantly up in the night and I was taking paracetamol and imodium.
“On Sunday night I had to go to A&E. I had done so well even the doctors said it’s nothing to do with your surgery.
“They did say it’s caused by swimming pools abroad. As I was so dehydrated due to diarrhoea just coming out of me.
“More water coming out of me than fluid I was putting in my body. My lips started to go dry and crack causing them to bleed.”
She added that her mum “did try and get in contact with a Tui rep” while in Greece, and added that she had put in “several: complaints.
A Tui spokeswoman said: “We’re very sorry to hear about Ms Wilde’s experience at the Golden Odyssey Hotel Rhodes.
“We take reports of illness seriously and have reassured Ms Wilde that we’re looking into this further with the hotel to resolve her complaint.
“We’d like to reassure customers that we regularly audit all of the hotels we feature in respect of health and safety, including hygiene.”
Mould and fungus can be seen around the edges of the poolCredit: Charlotte Wilde
Charlotte was so dehydrated her lips swelled up from the bugCredit: Charlotte Wilde
She had travelled to Greece hoping to relax from her weight loss surgeryCredit: Charlotte Wilde
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.