THE MYSTERY surrounding a haunting image of a child’s bunk bed hanging from the collapsed Miami condo has been solved.
The photograph rocked the internet and left the public wondering if a child had been sleeping in the room at the time of the collapsing Champlain Towers South.
The bunk bed pictured top right had caused a massive mysteryCredit: AFP
The apartment belong to Linda Martin (pictured) who is still missingCredit: AP
March used this bedroom as a home office which would explain why there was a black desk chair close to the bunk bed of the dismantled apartment, March’s best friend Rochelle Laufer told the Herald.
Laufer described the place as “beautiful, oceanfront with beautiful views” as she reflected on the photos March had sent to her.
The 58-year-old New Yorker, who moved to Florida alone for a “fresh start,” is still missing.
The search is now in its seventh dayCredit: AFP
The condo’s board had been warned of defects ahead of the collapseCredit: AFP
On Wednesday morning, the images of the penthouse could still be found on rental site Apartments.com but now the listing is “no longer available.”
March’s one and only complaint about the Champlain Towers South was the outside noise.
“The one thing she complained about was the construction. It started in the morning and kept going all day,” Laufer admitted to the Herald.
When the tragedy occurred, there were substantial renovations and repairs underway leading up to the building’s 40-year certification.
The group behind the construction of Eighty Seven Park released a statement saying they are confident the construction “did not cause or contribute to the collapse that took place in Surfside.”
In 2018, a report found there were several issues with the Champlain Towers South condo, but a former building official told the residents the building was “in very good shape.”
On April 9, just 75 days before the condo collapsed, the condo’s board also sent a letter to residents warning that the damage found in 2018 had been “accelerating” over the years.
In the letter, the president of the condo association’s board of directors Jean Wodnicki provided a summary of the major repairs that were needed.
Wodnicki noted that failing to fix the problems in the “near future will cause the extent of the concrete deterioration to expand exponentially.”
Moreover, residents of the condos had reportedly voted to pay for the repairs, despite an estimated $16.2million price tag.
As of Wednesday, the death toll has raised to 16 people in addition to findings of other human remains according to Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah.
There are 149 people still unaccounted for as resume teams continue to search extensively.
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.