MEGHAN Markle completely misread her royal status and felt “shunted off” by not living in Kensington Palace, it has been claimed.
The Duchess of Sussex was “drawn in” by the fantasy of royal life after marrying Prince Harry – but was completely unready for the significantly less glam reality, author Tom Quinn told the Pod Save the Queen podcast.
She reportedly felt “disappointed” at having to live in a “little” Frogmore Cottage rather than the considerably grander Kensington Palace where Prince William and Kate Middleton are raising their children.
But it was actually Nottingham Cottage, Harry and Meghan’s first UK home, which sits inside the grounds of Kensington Palace, that first hammered home the reality of Meghan as a second-tier royal, Quinn claimed.
“I think that actually, she wasn’t too keen on that,” he said.
“It seemed like they were being shunted off to a little prefab in the grounds,” Quinn added.
Read our live blog below for the very latest updates on Meghan Markle and Prince Harry…
PRINCE HARRY ‘GOT NEW EXEC JOB DESPITE LACK OF OBVIOUS QUALIFICATIONS’
Prince Harry’s appointment as a senior exec in a $1.7billion US firm is a “big win, given his lack of obvious qualifications”, say royal writers.
Richard Kay and Geoffrey Levy said in the Daily Mail that the Sussexes are enjoying an “impressively swift rise to the streaming stratosphere with their reported megabucks Netflix and Spotify deals.
“And that’s in addition to their elevation to the American entertainment elite, courtesy of Oprah and friends.”
MEG & HARRY SET FOR ‘EXORBITANT PAY’
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are set to receive a series of huge payments thanks to their links to the Royal Family, it is claimed.
Celebrity biographer Kitty Kelley expects the couple are to be “paid exorbitantly” due to their “sought after” status and “celebrity value” in the US.
She told the Washington Post: “Harry and Meghan will be sought after socially in America and paid generously (some might say exorbitantly) for their celebrity value.
“Not even the biggest US movie star or sports giant can claim Harry and Meghan’s link to the British monarchy.”
QUEEN SENDS HER ‘WARMEST GOOD WISHES’ ON NORTHERN IRELAND CENTENARY
The Queen has sent her “warmest good wishes” to the people of Northern Ireland on the date which many consider to be its centenary.
She referred to “treasured” memories she shared in NI with her late husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, and paid tribute to its people.
It’s the 100th year since the Government of Ireland Act came into effect and the formation of the UK as we know it today.
In her tribute, the Queen said: “This anniversary reminds us of our complex history, and provides an opportunity to reflect on our togetherness and our diversity.
“It is clear that reconciliation, equality and mutual understanding cannot be taken for granted, and will require sustained fortitude and commitment. During my many visits to Northern Ireland, I have seen these qualities in abundance, and look forward to seeing them again on future occasions.”
DUKE OF SUSSEX ROCKS AT COVID JAB GIG
Prince Harry got a standing ovation after appearing solo as he joined celebs to film a Covid concert last night – in his first appearance since Prince Philip’s funeral.
The Duke of Sussex was among a bevy of big names taking part in the taping of the Vax Live show at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, due to air on May 8.
He said: “Hi everybody. We are at a defining moment in the global fight against Covid-19.
“Tonight is a celebration of each of you here, the vaccinated frontline workers in the audience and the millions of frontline heroes around the world. You spent the last year battling courageously and selflessly to protect us all.
“You served and sacrificed, put yourselves in harm’s way and with bravery knowing the costs. We owe you an incredible depth of gratitude, thank you. We’re also coming together because this pandemic cannot end unless we act collectively with an unprecedented commitment to our shared humanity.”
MORE INFO ON UNVEILING OF PRINCESS DIANA STATUE
It’s previously been claimed that Prince Harry would return to the UK to unveil the Princess Diana statue after chats with his brother at Prince Philip’s funeral “broke the ice.”
The brothers have had frosty relations since Harry sensationally moved to the US and stepped back from royal life in 2020.
But, according to Royal biographer Omid Scobie, the Duke of Sussex is still expected to be at the statue unveiling for Princess Diana at Kensington Palace.
Writing in Bazaar.com, he said: “He will join William at Kensington Palace’s Sunken Garden for a ceremony that was rescheduled from summer 2020.”
The statue of Diana is set to be revealed on July 1 – on what would have been her 60th birthday.
Load more entries…
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.