Clarkson has backed the actor (Picture: Jeff Spicer/Getty Images)
Jeremy Clarkson has leaped to the defence James Nesbitt after backlash over TV drama Suspect filming at a petrol station last week.
A number of motorists claimed they were turned away from the fully-stocked Texaco garage in Vauxhall, south London, but the Grand Tour presenter has defended both Nesbitt and the team behind his Channel 4 drama.
Writing for The Sun, he called on people to ‘hang on a minute’ and consider the challenges production crews are facing.
He asked: ‘Have you considered the possibility that James had to film that scene in the petrol station because there was no alternative?’
And he added: ‘Today, there’s a huge demand for very high-quality television… And this is causing problems.’
He pointed to Grand Tour’s Outer Hebrides special, which ‘seemed like a good idea’ iitially until the team realised Paul Whitehouse, Joanna Lumley and A League of Their Own were all filming there at the same time.
James’ drama caused some controversy (Picture: David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images for Walpole)
Jeremy said: ‘As the island we’d all selected was quite small, we had to take it in turns to shoot scenes.’
And he claimed there were issues filming recently in Derbyshire, with a Hollywood blockbuster forcing them to change locations.
‘That was full of Tom Cruise making Mission: Impossible 975 so we switched to Kent, where we had to wait for Fiona Bruce to finish a piece to camera about wardrobes before we could begin,’ he quipped.
‘And even then, we had to be quiet because Chris Packham was in a nearby bush, filming beavers.’
He added that recent concerns over fuel is also impacting TV crews, who have to look for locations ‘close to their offices’.
Meanwhile, the independent owner of the garage used for the TV shoot blamed a technology error for the confusion, noting that the plan was for the public to still use the pumps.
And a Channel 4 spokesperson said: ‘The petrol station was booked as a filming location a number of weeks ago.
‘The forecourt was used from midnight-5am on Thursday morning, during which time the area was safely cordoned off, with cast, crew and equipment clearly visible to drivers from a distance.’
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.