In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Tom Stanfill. Tom is CEO and co-founder of ASLAN Training, a global sales enablement company appearing nine consecutive years in the Selling Power Top 20. Since 1996, ASLAN has worked with many Fortune 500 companies, training more than 100,000 sellers and leaders in over 35 countries. Tom is also the author of a book called unReceptive: A Better Way to Lead, Sell & Influence – launching in November 2021.
Today, people are distracted, overwhelmed, and isolated – because of this, there’s been a massive decline in receptivity to another sales pitch, call, or email. And the harder you try to sell, the greater people tend to resist.
In this episode, I talk with CEO and co-founder of ASLAN Training, Tom Stanfill, about his new book – unReceptive:A Better Way to Lead, Sell & Influence. He shares why the receptivity of an audience is far more important than the power of the message, and offers a solution that is a sharp contrast to traditional approaches to selling.
Questions I ask Tom Stanfill:
- [2:05] Could you talk a little bit about how you’re using the title of your book ‘unReceptive’ in the context of selling?
- [4:14] Does the value proposition go out the window if a customer is not receptive?
- [5:21] What role does marketing play in making a salesforce more receptive?
- [6:24] I get a lot of pitches today essentially cold calls in some form. The challenge is that even if they are trying to solve problems I have – one in 25 of those may be the answer to my prayers – but I don’t have time to figure out if that’s the case. How do you become that one solution and how do you clearly become that one in 25?
- [7:39] You mentioned the idea of what’s on their whiteboard – How do I get a peek at that, and how do I know what’s on their whiteboard?
- [11:31] Does a typical salesperson have to be a higher-level thinker?
- [14:19] How important does listening become?
- [16:08] How different is virtual selling from selling face-to-face?
- [17:51] How hard is it to learn this approach, convert the unreceptive?
- [21:28] Where can people find out more about your new book unRecepitive and the work you’re doing with sales folks?
More About Tom Stanfill:
More About Certified Marketing Manager Program Powered By Duct Tape Marketing:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn – Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND
The Insidexpress is now on Telegram and Google News. Join us on Telegram and Google News, and stay updated.